How To Stay Fit This Winter
As the leaves begin to crumble and the breeze gets a little icier, we all know what’s coming…WINTER! And, with the onset of winter comes holiday celebrations and buttery treats that immediately put your fitness goals to shame. But, not to worry, we’re here to help with a guide to stay fit this winter!
If you love the great outdoors, there are several ways to enjoy our beautiful community and locale even though it’s a little chilly outside. From ice skating to skiing, there are plenty of locations to enjoy the frosty weather and still stay fit.
Outdoor Activity Locations:
- Weston Ski Track – Ski Resort and Ice Skating Rink – http://www.skiboston.com
- Nashoba Valley Ski Area – https://www.skinashoba.com
- Ice Skating in the Boston Common Frog Pond – http://bostonfrogpond.com
- Skilled Ice Skaters can also join The Skating Club of Boston – https://scboston.org
For those that love to bike, Chroma Cambridge offers enclosed bicycle parking and even has a on-site Cycle Clinic whenever your two-wheeler needs a touch-up. Since winter riding can be tough on your bike and your body, consider looking into these essential items to keep you pedaling through new fitness challenges during frosty months.
Warm Biking Clothes:
REI notes that it’s best to not overdress while biking as excess sweating could lead to dehydration or hypothermia, because of which, they recommend starting with a wool or polyester base layer followed by a soft-shell jacket.
If wearing a helmet, think about finding a wool helmet liner and don’t forget the scarf and gloves as your body’s extremities are exposed while you’re peddling away.
Prepare your bike:
All the slush and dirt accumulated on the road is often slippery and tends to get stuck in your bike’s gears. If you’re sporting a bike with an internal geared hub or a single speed track bike, keeping your bike clear in winter is much simpler than a traditional multi-speed bike that needs to be cleaned and lubricated pretty much every week.
Lastly, if you are planning on taking a suspension bike out, try to avoid near freezing temperatures, be careful of sand and debris that accumulates as a result of the oil within the bike becoming less fluid-like. To keep your bike from undue wear and tear it might be best to leave your suspension bike at home during the coldest of days.
Find more tips about keeping your body warm and your bike safe during the winter months here.
When the snow piles up and the weather is a little too frightful to brave, try the brand new state-of-the-art equipment within the Chroma Cambridge Fit Zone! From ellipticals to weight machines, our fit zone has all the necessary amenities to keep you sweating all season long.
Furthermore, there are plenty of amazing fitness apps that you can use in the Fit Zone or even in your apartment home to satisfy every workout style:
Top fitness apps to try:
- FitStar – A personalized trainer that adapts to your body, this app uses your fitness level and goals to customize a workout just for you. And, if you’re in a rush, there are several quick freestyle workouts that you can do!
- Sworkit – Also customizable, Simply Work It (Sworkit) is designed to target the muscle groups that you choose through yoga, cardio and stretch routines.
- Workout Trainer – This app offers thousands of short, timed routines that fit all styles. Though many fitness apps are paid subscriptions, Workout Trainer is free which is always an added bonus!
To find more apps to help you stay fit through the winter chill, visit Tom’s Guide.
And, regardless of how you choose to work up a sweat, your body will thank you for sticking with a healthy routine through this cookie and cake ladened season!